Sunday, June 17, 2012

Yellow Birthday Cake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting

 

After making my mom birthday scones, I next made birthday cake. I chose a recipe for a homemade vanilla cake with ganache frosting that sounded decadent and delicious. However, things didn't exactly go as planned. As I mixed, stirred, and folded, all seemed well. I popped the pans into the oven, and 35 minutes later, I pulled them out. They seemed fine, despite having overflowed a little in the oven. Twenty minutes later though, the centers had sunk. I was disappointed, but since my Flour challenge had gone close to perfectly so far, I knew it was time for things to go a little wrong. I thought for a while about what to do and I ended up just filling the center hole with extra frosting. While the cake was dense, it was also moist, buttery, and chocolatey. We declared it much better than Duncan Hines!

The frosting filled hole.


3 comments:

  1. Is there a luckier mother than I? I am eating my night-after-birthday slice of cake. Scrumptious. Love you, Julia! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you figure out why it sunk in the middle? Just curious, since I'm not much of a baker... Was it the oven temperature, or was it a humid day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not sure! I think it might have been from overfilling the pans, opening the oven too early, or baking the cakes for too short of a time. Hopefully the next cake won't sink!

      Delete