Saturday, June 16, 2012

Corn Muffins with Raspberry Jam

 

A few weeks ago, while driving on a beautiful country road near my home, my mom and I noticed that one of our favorite summer farm stands had opened for the season. Of course, we pulled into the driveway. As my mom picked out fresh spinach and maple syrup, I gravitated toward the stone ground corn meal, imagining what Joanne Chang might do with this wholesome and natural ingredient. When I got home, I flipped through Flour and came across this delicious recipe. Calling for corn meal, creme fraiche, and not too much sugar, I knew I wanted to make this. And yesterday, I did.

One thing I've learned from Joanne is that amounts and ingredients matter. However, I'm an impatient baker, so if I don't have creme fraiche and I really want muffins, I'm going to find a substitute. With a little luck and some internet help, I guessed that a combination of leftover sour cream (from fajitas a few nights before) and some Greek yogurt might do the trick. I crossed my fingers and threw the muffins in the oven.

Twenty minutes later, I popped them out. While some broke when removing them, I didn't care. Now, every morning for breakfast, my parents, sister, and I eat these muffins, with the raspberry jam surprise in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment