Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lemon Ginger Birthday Scones

Today is my mom's birthday, and in our house, that's a big deal. Of course, for me that meant spending the entire day in the kitchen, beginning at 7 in the morning. Once I wrestled myself out of bed, I put together a surprise Breakfast in Bed, because there's nothing better than that! I had already prepared, shaped, and frozen the scones last night, so this morning I just needed to bake and glaze them. Alongside the scones, I served tea, fruit salad with shredded coconut, and leftover muffins from an earlier Flour day. I carried the heavy tray of food up to my parent's room, and then we enjoyed the perfect pleasure of eating in bed.



The scones were divine. Everyone needs to try these. As my dad said, they were the best scones he had ever eaten, and my sister said that they were the most delicious treats I've made yet. Each scone included ginger three ways: ground, caramelized, and grated. Each golden top was soaked in a smooth lemon and confectioner's sugar glaze. The insides were flaky and buttery, and for mom, warm right of the oven. A perfect way to start off a birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment